I did a live video on Facebook the other day where I talked about the reasons why people are not at the fitness level they want. You can watch the replay above. Here’s a summary of the 5 reasons why you might be finding it hard to stick to a fitness lifestyle
1. SETTING ONLY SHORT TERM GOALS AROUND FITNESS: People often set short-term goals to lose a particular amount of weight within a period of time but they have no plans to maintain that weight loss or improve on their fitness after they have hit that particular goal. This often results in them gaining back all or most of the weight. When setting fitness goals, set short-term and long-term goals.
2. TAKING ON TOO MUCH TOO SOON: When developing a fitness lifestyle, it’s important to start slow and then add on and improve from there. Going from zero physical activity to extreme activities that take hours all at once will lead to crashing and burning.
3. SETTING UNREALISTIC GOALS: This basically means you’re setting yourself up for failure from the get-go. It is unrealistic to set a goal to lose 10kgs in 1 month. Think about it this way, you’ve been caring around the extra weight for a few years now, why would you think it’s realistic to lose it in a month?
4. EXPERIMENT TO FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU: There are so many exercise options out there right now, Pilates, Yoga, running, HIIT, Cross Fit etc. If you find that jogging, for instance, isn’t a fit for you, it doesn’t mean fitness, in general, is not for you. Try out different things and have fun while you’re at it.
5. YOU JUST DON’T WANT IT BAD ENOUGH: Sounds harsh but this is true. We all love the idea of a fit body and optimum fitness level but most people just don’t want it bad enough and hence don’t put in the effort.
Remember folks, Keep it Simple.