Okra is a simple to prepare vegetable packed with lots of health benefits such as:
- It is packed with a significant amount of vital nutrients – protein, fiber, calcium, iron, zinc.
- It helps to control cholesterol levels.
- Okra is loaded with fiber which keeps you feeling fuller for longer, thus helping you to control hunger and reach your weight loss goals.
- It’s high Folic acid and vitamin B6 content makes it great for pregnant women as it helps with the early physical development of babies.
I love cooking this pepper-soup style Okra soup. It’s easy to make and can be eaten on its own i.e with or without swallow. This makes it a great stand-alone meal for when you simply want something light.
Here’s what you need to make this simple Okra soup:
- Pepper-soup spice
- Smoked fish
- Cooked meat of choice (optional)
- Diced Pepper – scotch bonnets
Here’s how to prepare the Okra soup:
- Dice your Okra – big chunky sizes
- Boil just a small amount of water
- Add in pepper-soup spice and salt to taste
- Add in your meat of choice and the diced pepper
- Bring the mixture to boil
- Add in the fish
- Okra is the last thing to add.
- Add more water if needed to bring the soup to a consistency of choice.
- Bring to boil then let cook for 2 to 5 minutes (this depends on how crunchy you want your Okra. I like mine extra crunchy).